Friday 6 April 2012

Cover up your KitchenAid


What you will need:
  • finished kitchenAid block- pattern available here in the 'kitchen classics' pattern set
  • finished vintage label block,stamped with "kitchenAid"- pattern available here in the 'kitchen classics' pattern set
  • lining fabric:  two pieces 14 1/2" X 15" (front and back lining), one piece 7" X 41 3/4"(gusset lining)
  • outside fabric for front: two pieces 14 1/2"X 4 3/4",  6 1/2" X 5 1/4", 6 1/2" X 3 3/4"
  • outside fabric for back:  14 1/2" X 15"
  • outside fabric for gusset:  7" X 30",  two pieces 2 3/4" X 1 5/8", 7" X 9"
  • binding fabric: 43" X 3 1/2"

Notes:

The basic construction of this cover consist of two panels, one front and one back, and then a gusset strip down the middle.  I've put my KitchenAid block on the left side because of where my KitchenAid sits on my counter, but you could easily change it to the right side if that suits you better.  Also I've placed the label on the end of  gusset so that you can see it as it sits on the counter.

My KitchenAid is the professional model, so the measurements are for that model.  The measurements I took for it are as follows:   4.5" wide at the top, 10" wide at the base, 16.5" tall, and 12.5" from front to back.  If you have one of the smaller models, you may need to make adjustments to your pattern pieces to reduce them slightly so it fits better.  My cover fits so it is about 1/2" off the counter along the bottom edge.

All seams are 1/4" unless otherwise stated.


Directions:

Sew lining together: 

1.  Pin the long side of the lining gusset to one of the 14 1/2" edges of the lining front panel,  placing your last pin 1/4" from the end of the front panel.
2.  Sew together, stopping at the last pin and back stitch.
3.  Turn the corner with the gusset by folding the gusset and pinning.

  

4.  Pin the gusset along the 15" edge placing your last pin 1/4" from the end.  Start sewing at the first pin, making sure to backstitch at the beginning and end pins. 
5.  Repeat step 3 and then sew the last part of the gusset to the panel making sure to backstitch at the beginning.


Sew the outside front outside panel together:

Using this diagram, sew section A to the kitchenAid block, then section C to that.  Then sew sections C and D to the sides of the center section to make your front outside panel.





Sew the outside gusset together:

Using this diagram, sew sections E and F to the sides of the vintage label block, then section G to the top of this and section H to the bottom.



Sew the outside cover together:

Use steps 1-5 for the lining, to sew the outside cover together.  Then place the wrong sides of the outside cover and the lining together, lining up the seams.



Bind your bottom raw edge: 

There are several tutorials out there for binding, so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel here.  A lovely tutorial I've used often is this one.  The only change I've made is I've made it wider, and I sewed the entire thing down by machine.

Your KitchenAid cover is complete!



28 comments:

  1. ....so, is this to keep my KitchenAid clean? ....or to keep everyone from seeing how dirty it is? ;D
    I LOVE this cover! It is SO cute! Darn it! I'm going to have to add one more thing to my "I know what I'm going to do today" list!
    SO CUTE!!! Thanks. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cool and since I have one, it will be a nice thing to make!
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, how cute is that? Now I just need to scale up the directions to make a cover for the industrial sized one I use at work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cute - need to put a Kitchen Aid on the Christmas list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool. Alas, I only have a Kenwood Chef that's about as old as I am lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. This a cute cover, thank you. Like the print and turtorial was very helpful.

    HAPPY EASTER

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so great!! Love all the special touches!! Thank you!! Have a blessed Easter!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! I hope your Easter is wonderful too!

      Delete
  9. thank you for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh I do need one of these for my Kitchen Aid

    ReplyDelete
  11. So love the cover. I only have an Artisan though. I'll trade ya!
    You just had to go and start another blog!!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This makes me want to get a KitchenAid just to make a cover for it ;) It looks SO pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My to do list keeps getting longer. Thanks for the tutorial and great blog. I can't wait to get started! :) You guys are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Now...if I make one, will a Kitchen Aid come to my house? Love these, and love your tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! not sure about a kitchen aid just showing up at your place though :(

      Delete
  15. Oh, how I need this.....Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this. I am going to size it for a bread machine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nurse Marilyn9 May 2012 at 13:51

    This is a great pattern. Last year I made a kitchen aid cover and looked all over for a pattern. I ended up making it up as I went along.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This Kitchen Aid Mixer cover is so adorable! Good thing I love paper piecing too! I can't wait to tackle it.
    Maybe, you could invent a cutesy pattern for a bread machine next?
    Thanks so much.
    Nettie

    ReplyDelete

We love getting your feedback and comments! We will reply in the comments thread on each post- thankyou :)

Counter

you might like...